One of the most common ways I discover a new author is via word of mouth. Of course the question that most often comes up during the recommendation is “who are they like?”. In an effort to help you find out about some new authors, I’ve elicited some help and have some up with a list that answers that question. If you would like to add to the list feel free to sound off in the comments!
- If you like smart, bloody horror, like the kind put out by Chuck Wendig or Clive Barker you’ll want to check out Jake Bible.
- If Heinlein juveniles are your thing then Nathan Lowell and Mike Plested are worth checking out.
- When Brand Gamblin’s name came up he was compared to Terry Pratchett.
- The excellent thrillers of James Patterson are brought to mind by John Mireau’s work.
- Jim Butcher is well known for his smart ass protagonists and you’ll find that in the works of Tee Morris.
- If you’re a fan of Elizabeth Bear’s solid romances then have a look at Pip Ballantine.
- If you like Robert Aspirin or RL Stine then you’ll likely enjoy JR Murdock.
- The intimate voice, excellent 1st person POV, and wittiness of Stephen Pressfield can be found in Patrick E McLean‘s work.
- Are you a fan of the psychological horror brought to you by Dean Koontz/Stepen King? Then have a look at Paul Cooley.
Standard disclaimers like, YMMV and analogies breaking down, apply here. But click on these folks’ names if you have any resonance with their more famous colleagues. And like I said, please add to the list in the comments!